Simply download the
overlay by right-clicking on the link or right-clicking on the image itself and
choosing “save as.” Make a note of which folder you save the overlay to.
Open up the overlay
in your favorite graphics printing program.
The most important
thing is to make sure the overlay is exactly 2.5” wide (be sure to include the
tab on the right side of the overlay in this measurement!) When
resizing be sure you maintain the aspect ratio otherwise the height will come
out wrong. Super Controller overlays are easier to resize the height, which is
When resizing you
don’t want to down-sample (reduce the number of pixels) the overlays, it’ll
make the image look blocky and terrible. You just want to change the print size.
You can simply
print on regular paper, but you’ll get much better results using glossy photo
paper. Another option is to use opaque film or overhead projector paper. These plastic sheets
will give your overlays the look and feel of the originals.
Make you own ColecoVision
I think there may
be an interest here for people that would like to make replica overlays,
overlays for games that could benefit from them but don't have them or
I'll share with you my method for overlays. This is how I made the overlays for
My Mario Bros. Controller set and a new one for Quest for Quintana Roo
1. Take your image with 9 overlays...then mirror it. (9 fit on 8 1/2" X 11"
2. Convert the file to a .pdf
3. take it to a print shop and have it printed on transparency film ( Office Max
does it for about $2 a sheet)
4. take the transparency sheet (spray adhesive on printed side) and a sheet of
regular printer paper and spray 3M Super 77 Multipurpose adhesive on both.
5. Let both cure for 30 seconds then flip the transparency over onto the paper
6. starting from one side use a craft roller to tightly bond the 2 pieces
together and insure that there is no air bubbles.
7. Very carefully cut each out by hand with nice sharp scissors.
8. Slide into your controller and enjoy.
The paper backing makes it so that you don't see the keypad numbers thru the
This adhesive works fantastic and I spent a lot of money finding a good bonding
agent. Not just any old glue will do.
Since the toner is on the backside of the transparency film and paper is
protecting it, you don't have to worry about it scraping off.